Cromarty Archive

Duchess of Gloucester's Visit - 1956

Duchess of Gloucester's Visit - 1956

Date Added: 30 September 2003 Contributor: Clem Watson Year: 1956 Picture No: 511

Arriving for the naming of the new Cromarty lifeboat. Note the harbour office on the right of the picture.

Albums: Events


The building to the right of the picture is the former Customs Shed, occupied for years by Customs Officer Marks, followed by Customs Officer John Gray, and on his retirement the building was removed.

As a matter of interest it was also the meeting place for all the local worthies, who, prior to the arrival of TV, used to march back and fore discussing local affairs. If there was an easterly wind, they'd walk on the West side, vice versa in a westerly. You had to be at least 50 to join. Avoch our near, former fishing neighbour, had a similar meeting place known affectionately as 'Lazy Corner'. Cromarty being pro active called their's the 'Parliament'. Tak that now kuckka!
Comment left on 14 September 2005 at 20:18 by Clem Watson
Cromarty Granny used to say "At now Kuckka? Puffer's at the lug!" Comment left on 15 September 2005 at 19:59 by Margaret Tong
Form Goes Here