Cromarty Archive

Guns at the Coastguard Station - c1900

Guns at the Coastguard Station - c1900

Date Added: 06 October 2006 Contributor: Alexandra Norton (nee Watson) Year: 1900 Picture No: 1745

See also picture #50.


The second gun was placed there in 1914 so the date must be after that. Comment left on 09 October 2006 at 19:23 by David Alston
The cannon in the picture was in position there up until 1940. It was demolished to make way for a parking area for the Polish Army's Bren Gun Carriers & Bedford QL's between the Lighthouse and the end of Duke Street. The cannon itself lay beside Cathel's shed for years, to be removed by a scrap entrepreneur sometime in the 1950's. Comment left on 10 October 2006 at 14:15 by Clem Watson
Form Goes Here